Monday, February 23, 2009

2009

I thought since everyone else is doing it, I'd give this blog thing another try...



I guess I should start by saying that I'm so glad the holidays are over! I know that sounds terrible (bah! Humbug!), but in any retail type of job the holidays can be a bit stressful. Not to mention, the spirit of the season is easily forgotten when you're standing behind a cash register. I've pretty much come to dread the holidays every year through my experiences working in retail. Yet, I must say, the holidays turned out much better than anticipated for 2008. Nick and I spent Thanksgiving at my parent's ward house with my family. We also spent a little time at Brittney's (Nick's cousin) and Brad's house, which was very nice.

Christmas eve was especially meaningful to me this year. We spent Christmas eve with Nick's family over at the Highland Care Center. Nick's yia-yia (Grandma in greek) has been spending some time there because of an issue she's had with her knee. After dinner, Nick and I were also able to visit my family over at Mary and Dan's house for a little while. Everything turned out very nice all the way around. I was particularly excited to give my parents their Christmas gift which I had been working on since after Halloween. I was able to repair some of their old, old pictures and reprint them to put in a book of remembrance. It was very time consuming, but well worth it. In the end, the process of making the book seemed more like a gift to myself than anyone else. I was able to read through some of both of my parent's old writings and some of my grandmother Gladys' old poetry. I feel like through the process I came to better know some of those people I always have longed to know (ie - my grandparents, my uncle Joe). Anyway, I consider the scrapbook as an ongoing process. My hope is that even when I am gone the book will remain a work in progress, sharing a part of our family history with all who care to know.

The other Christmas gift which made 2008 great came about a week after Christmas. A little bird told me to take a pregnancy test, despite the fact that Nick and I weren't really trying to get pregnant. I waited a few minutes for the results.....and there it was.... a BIG FAT POSTITIVE. I couldn't believe it. I took another test.... positive. I still couldn't believe it. After all, it looked somewhat more like a division sign than a positive. I went to the store. I spent a little more than I should have and got one of those digital tests that clearly read "PREGNANT". I waited a few hours (even though I was planning to wait another day) and took the test. "PREGNANT". Wow. I still couldn't believe it. I waited until Nick got home from work and gave him one of his Christmas presents late. It read "PREGNANT".

Since that day not too long after Christmas I have been living in a completly different world, so it seems. Ever since the six week mark I've been a zombie to the world. I go to work, I come home, I sleep, I eat (mainly crackers and ginger ale), I go to work, I come home, I sleep, etc, etc, etc. I've been too sick to want to do much more than I have to.
BUT NOW... I think it's safe to say that the worst of the morning sickness is coming to an end (At least I hope. I've been fooled before). I am slowly waking up to reality and am actually feeling like I'm pregnant... as opposed to before where I just felt like a sickly hormonal maniac who ate a few too many Twinkies. Well, the hormonal maniac part is still pretty much the same anyways. Poor Nick...

The further along I get, the more excited I become. I am now 12... almost 13 weeks pregnant. Nick and I got to finally hear the baby's heart beat last Thursday. It was the most exciting thing ever! I was so giggly, I could barely settle down long enough to hear it. Lol :D According to the doctor, everything seems to be going great so far. The heart rate was 160, and according to the old wives tale that means we'll be having a girl (If only it were that easy to know).

I guess that pretty much sums up life for now... or at least that's all the detail I'll be going into for now.

3 comments:

The Calls said...

Your eggo is prego! haha I've been dying to say that to somebody!!! I'm glad you are having a baby...it is the next phase in your lives. How cool...Anyway, I don't know how I found your blog??? I think it was off of my sewing website..which I just posted new photos on..check out my personal one at marshallandjenny.blogspot.com.. Love ya Becks!

The Calls said...

I'm an idiot and thought you were a follower on my sewing blog..ha ha never mind what I wrote on the last post for our family blog...i'm a dweeb

Jessica said...

Congrats Becky!! I'm so excited for you two!

Yes, I happened to find your blog on Jenny's. Welcome to this weird world of blogging.